Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Becoming a native

My friend Jeeva took me to see a Tamil film the other night and I was very excited about how much I understood. Speaking Tamil is still quite stilted apart from familiar conversations that I have mastered, but I am now understanding quite a lot. Great for my confidence. My body has become accustomed to the heat, 42C is the average daily temperature, and although this floored me to begin with, these days if I sit in a A/C room, which brings the temp to 20C then I am shivering.
My friend Sathya Murthy saw a 2 metre long snake (pambu) crossing our wee track the other day!! Certainly from the tracks in the sand it seems they are common here.
My birthday yesterday was wonderful, everyone made it very special, they have all been so kind to me and are very keen for me to return. I have been well looked after here, I have not been sick since arriving, and always treated like a princess 'Kamala Madam' is how I am called (despite protests!!).
I brought a 5kg bday cake for everyone, this went down very well "Happy Birthday Kamala"
I have been offered the job of activities coordinater (my suggestion). I will leave here on sunday I think but may well return to take up the post in november.... life permitting....
I gave a presentation today 'A Scottish perspective on MH care' and despite having no current, it was very successful with much intersting discussion
Feels like I got a message across and some adjustments to organisation were made in theory at least.
Pleased but very tired, all day long, talking, sharing, inspiring.....

No comments: