Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Transitting

I have left Kovalam. Feel like it penetrated deeper somehow and I will return but who knows what lies in store....? I left in a whirlwind, becoming very emotional when saying goodbye to the women who were eating dinner when my lift came, and I tried to shout 'Poito Varen Nan romba virenburem' but it stuck in my throat, and my roommate finished my sentence on my behalf, one of the women got up to come and kiss my cheek, and they all shouted 'bye', I didn't feel like I was able to punctuate my stay with the community like I usually would, because of the language issue, but I kept pestering the SW in charge about it, and she assured me that she was informing the residents of my time periods etc.
I emailed my journal to all of the managers before I left, and felt a bit wary as it contained very honest accounts of my experiences.... Byut I was extremely pleased to receive replies from several of the managers saying that they appreciate my insights and expected that a lot of changes would occur because of them!! WOWEE!! That feel really positive!
So now I head to Kolcata tomorrow morning, I am a tourist again for a while before I begin my next project in Lehdakh, working to improve access to education for children with disabilities.

No comments: